Hiring a high volume of retail employees is no easy feat, especially during the ‘Great Resignation’. In August 2021, about 720,000 retail employees resigned from their jobs in the U.S. alone! That’s a lot of empty positions to fill.
While there are certainly many ways to go about addressing this huge gap in the retail workforce, one place to start is by rethinking your retail job descriptions. That’s why we’ve created the below cashier job description to help you get going. Go ahead, copy and paste it…don’t worry, we won’t tell your boss!
Keep reading to learn more about what it takes to be a cashier and, of course, grab our clear and concise cashier job description.
What Does a Cashier Do?
A cashier provides service to customers by facilitating money transactions for goods sold in a retail environment. Cashiers must understand how to complete transactions via check, cash, credit, or debit. They must be familiar with how to operate registers and answer customers’ questions regarding inventory.
While compensation packages for cashiers vary across the country, according to Salary.com, the average hourly wage for cashiers typically ranges from $12 to $15.
Sample Cashier Job Description
[Company] is looking for outgoing individuals that enjoy working with others and have a strong work ethic. We are seeking individuals with flexible work hours and experience in customer service. As a cashier, you will be assisting customers with their purchases and/or returns, processing payments, and attending to customers’ needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Scanning and bagging merchandise
- Accepting payments and ensuring prices
- Operate scanners, scales, and registers
- Cash handling, maintaining an accurate cash drawer
- Manage returns and exchanges
- Attend to customers’ needs and provide information if necessary
- Follow store regulations and policies for alcohol, tobacco, etc.
- Maintain a clean workspace
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Customer service or cash handling experience
- Ability to lift heavy items and stand for hours at a time
- Basic math skills
We hope our sample cashier job description gives you the inspiration you need to build out your retail hiring strategy during this critical moment in the labor market.